Just drove a 2015 off the lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just drove a 2015 off the lot

I bought the car with 33 miles on it and after driving my brand new baby home I smelled a funky smell. Is that new engine oil or something? I've heard you should never run high speeds on a brand new engine. I've only been on the highway for about 10 minutes to get home max speed was 65-70. Did I screw something up or am I just being paranoid?
    You know that feeling of remorse you get when buy a brand new car? Yeah I don't have that!

I am not sure what you mean by a funky smell, lol But new cars often have fluids and oil and coatings on parts that burn off as well as all rubber and plastic parts that have oil and petroleum coatings when they are made that burn off during their break in period from the engine all the way back to the muffler tips as well as rotors, calipers and pads. I doubt you did anything.

Oh and congrats on the purchase, welcome to the insanity

Comment

+1 on what the old guy said. Drive it like you stole it!
      sigpic
      2010 2SS/RS #55 NicKey Stage 2S Super-Camaro, custom paint by Pete (Mr. Showstopper)
      Build thread: http://www.chicago5thgen.com/5th-gen...ld-thread.html

Comment

Check under the car and see if anything is leaking. Check fluid levels. If ok drive it again and see if it still smells. If it does take it back to the dealer and show them.
        '13 Camaro SS/RS Blue Ray Metallic w/silver stripes, Auto, Rear Vision Package w/camera, Embroidered Console, Blade Spoiler, sunroof.
        Mods: Dyno Tuned by Nickey, Nickey Comp Cam, Fast 102 Intake manifold w/ported TB, Yank 3200 Stall, CNC Ported Heads by Nickey, Kooks Headers, Borla S-type axleback, Nickey Noweeds diverters, 3:91 gear with 1000HP axles, CAI air intake, Foose Legend wheels.
        sigpic
        1.719-60 FT
        11.668 @ 117.91 MPH
        Fastest N/A Member

Comment

Ditto +1 It's always a good idea to inspect for leaks and to check fluid levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdog View Post
            I am not sure what you mean by a funky smell, lol But new cars often have fluids and oil and coatings on parts that burn off as well as all rubber and plastic parts that have oil and petroleum coatings when they are made that burn off during their break in period from the engine all the way back to the muffler tips as well as rotors, calipers and pads. I doubt you did anything.

Oh and congrats on the purchase, welcome to the insanity
            Thanks Lawdog! Yeah I think you are right on (new engine burn off) She's a fantastic ride. That being said, I'm noticing that when I first start the engine in the morning she idles pretty high for about 20-30 seconds before the rpms drop. I know I sound like a complete moron but I just wanna make sure I respect everything she's trying to tell me.
            You know that feeling of remorse you get when buy a brand new car? Yeah I don't have that!

Comment

no problem, enjoy .GM cars will do that more I notice after sitting all night. My old caddy still does that.

Comment

Yup, normal. IIRC, heating up the cats.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyNo View Post
                  Yup, normal. IIRC, heating up the cats.
                  Originally posted by Lawdog View Post
                  no problem, enjoy .GM cars will do that more I notice after sitting all night. My old caddy still does that.

Thanks again guys! I'm so glad to have found this forum. I absolutely LOVE being a part of this community

Comment

enjoy your new ride!
                    2010 2SS INFERNO ORANGE, M6, LS3
                    ROTO FAB CAI
                    TSP LONG TUBE HEADERS
                    TVS 2300 SUPERCHARGER
                    CORSA SPORT EXHAUST
                    SPEED INC TUNE
                    560 RWHP

Comment

Originally posted by DavidVoxMullen View Post
                      I bought the car with 33 miles on it and after driving my brand new baby home I smelled a funky smell. Is that new engine oil or something? I've heard you should never run high speeds on a brand new engine. I've only been on the highway for about 10 minutes to get home max speed was 65-70. Did I screw something up or am I just being paranoid?
                      Mine did the same thing when it was new. Will go away after a few rides.
                      ]
                      2016 2SS NFG Auto Adrenalin Red NPP MRC
                      Previous:
                      2011 LLT Black RS [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler Much More..

Comment

Figured I'd give an update. The smell eventually went away (thanks for the info everyone) She just broke 1500 miles and she's getting better and better each time I take her out. Being an automatic (with the manual paddle shifter options) is there a specific way to drive/shift to get more efficiency and speed?

Comment

Figured I'd give an update. The smell eventually went away (thanks for the info everyone) She just broke 1500 miles and she's getting better and better each time I take her out. Being an automatic (with the manual paddle shifter options) is there a specific way to drive/shift to get more efficiency and speed?
                          As a fellow A6'er, I recommend putting those paddle shifters to work and test your response times by joining us on the Lake Geneva cruise on October 4th. Your shifting efficiency and speed will most likely improve.

Comment

why of course there is, Drive it like you stole it !

Comment

Working...
                            X