2012 V6 air conditioning temperature control door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 V6 air conditioning temperature control door

I have a 2012 V6 convertible. I went to turn on the a/c, and it was just blowing warm air. I have never had anything done with the a/c so I figured it probably needed a recharge. I took it to the dealership, and they said the system is full and there are no codes in the hvac module. They said the temperature door/ blend door is broken and not moving. They said they have to remove the dash and windshield to access and replace the door and actuator, and it would be $2500.00 for that. They were usually reasonable before the pandemic, prices are higher now. But this seems really ridiculous. Anyone else ever have this done? They said they have had the same issue on other Camaros. I really want a/c but that price seems ridiculously high.

I also checked on the Camaro forum and apparently this is a common issue. Looks like there are people in Florida that can do this repair in 5 hours for a lot less, but I am in Schaumburg, IL. Is there anyone in the area that can do this? I am really not comfortable with doing this myself.

Yes ! It is a ridiculous job . I have seen it done at a local mechanic in Schaumburg . The entire center counsel comes out both seats dashboard ... it's a huge deal
    It's also a common problem for a little piece of plastic on the flapper . Ridiculous !

Comment

If you don't want to take it to a dealer sponsor here , I would tell you to talk to Anthony (tony) at International car and muffler repair at 1807 wise road close to the corner of Irving park road and wise road . Tell him I sent you and he will take good care of you !

Comment

Thanks for the info. I called Tony, and he wants $3,000.00 for labor plus additional $$ for parts. The Chevy dealer wants $2495.00 including everything labor and parts.

Comment

It's a 5 dollar part probably lmao. The dealer may be getting a subsidy from Chevy because it's a known problem . Tony is always the cheapest mechanic when I get quotes on my jobs and when he gives you a quote he sometimes hands you a bill for less . Sounds like he learned his lesson with the previous one . It's a huge job. I saw myself what it takes to accomplish . It will make you nervous when you see how much comes apart to get to it . Bite the bullet and go see the dealer . You don't have a choice u less you invest in a lot of new tshirts ! I will stand a little further from you tomorrow , heheh
          Ask the dealer to cut two holes in the plastic and give you two strings to pull the flapper back and forth for next time . On my opinion it should have been a stainless steel part and this problem would not have happened . Hot cold hot cold plastic , not a good idea .
          Last edited by Lawdog; 05-19-2023, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X